Friday, 28 June 2013

Sydney Craft and Quilt Fair 2013 Part II


 Hi guys!!
This was me with my fabric haul after day 1 of the quilt show.  


I am completely prepared to admit that I went overboard with the fabric purchases. It was just good to support the Aussie fabric shops (especially with the $AUD dropping back against the $USD again). I saved for ages (as you know, disability pensions don't pay well), and I was able to spoil myself. I rarely do. It felt nice to know that I could buy whatever I wanted (within reason) and I had the money. I'm usually worrying a lot about money as I have zero income (other than the pension) and so It is very hard to save, with massive medical bills, car insurance/petrol/rego, life.... One day I would love to sell my quilts. That's if anyone ever wanted one.

Anyway, what I have decided to do is take photos of my favourite fabrics that I bought at the fair. I was taking photos and by half way I was getting exhausted by the arranging, rearranging, keeping the tripod still on my bed (the biggest flat surface with enough daylight amongst this week of rain) and then starting over again. One thing fibromyalgia does to you is absolutely destroy your stamina and energy. As a result, I didn't take photos of any of the kids/baby fabric I bought (now that my sister is pregnant I needed fabric to make things out of) or any of the ones that didn't really fit in a category.
Anyway, here are the photos I managed to take before I collapsed in a heap and demanded a nanna nap.

At the fair, I was able to find Australian specialty Japanese fabric distributors (!) with Yuwa, Echino and more cotton/linen blends. I fully intend to buy more from these stores (when I find their business card amongst my other crap from the fair) in the near future. Postage from the US and Japan makes it uneconomical to order it that way now that I know of some places to source it from Australian online stores. Below are a few goodies I snapped up!


I also found a lot more stores that sell modern fabrics. I have been stuck with my 'local' fabric stores (both 30mins in either direction) having more civil war reprints ad other muddy, icky coloured palettes and as a result having to buy a lot of my fabric online. Now I have quite a few more places to get my bright fix, from within Australia.

 

Another trend I've fallen into recently is that of lovely delicate florals. I've always had an aversion to florals in general - however, recently there have been a few that have won even me over.


As well as the 1930s reproductions. Nyaaaaggh. I am such a sucker!! I really want to make a hexagon quilt from them *dreamy eyes*, just like the old original ones *sigh*



These are just a few low colour value fabric refills, even with a few Aboriginal prints.


 If there are any fabrics you'd like to know the name of, just ask me in the comments section :D I know the names of about 80% of them. I hope you have enjoyed looking through my haul! To be honest, these photos are about 70% of what I bought. I just didn't want to overload you with photos of kiddy fabric and ones that didn't match - yes, I'm that pedantic.

 

1 comment: