Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Pink Ombré Quilt Part 2


As promised, I have photos of my (finally) finished pink ombré strip quilt to share with you.

Don't you love seeing the moon in daylight?  Kinda cool in my books.



 

Hopefully the above shot shows the way in which I chose to quilt it. I just used my walking foot and slowly moved the quilt sandwich around to make it a loose wave. I also did my usual "stitch in the ditch" quilting to make sure the layers would be stable and not move around after a few washes.


The backing was made up of three fabrics to continue the whole "scrappy" feel of the quilt. I used Aneela Hoey's "Check Dots" in pink from her Sew Stitchy line for Moda, Tayna Whelan's "Gingham" in pink from her line "Darla" for Grand Revival and Ellen Luckett Baker's "Tic Tac Check" in spectrum fuchsia from her "Quilt Blocks" collection for Moda.


Lastly, true to the scrappy vibe, the binding comprised of offcuts from the strips used in the quilt top, conveniently cut to size.

I am hoping to start pinning together the quilt sandwich for my low colour value quilt in the next few days!! I finally found fabric for the monster and with the tables in the loungeroom set up, it should be much easier to baste. The quilting will be a marathon, but worth it in the end (or it better be).

Until next time,
Cara

4 comments:

  1. This quilt is beautiful and the colors with the blue sky...be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks. Your comment made me feel good :)

      Delete
  2. Caroline, The quilt is beautiful. I took a quilting (not piecing) class recently. I have found that my brain (even though I was a math major) is not wired for Free Motion Quilting. This class was for quilting with the Walking Foot and my brain is much more wired for that type of quilting. I love your quilting. I used to be a very "blue" person. My first husband told me that if he didn't go shopping with me, all my clothes would be blue and sailor. I am now a breast cancer survivor and I find myself adding lots of pinks into my wardrobe. There are many folks who love pinks. For a long time, one of my three grandsons said his favorite color was pink. I make quilts and give most of mine away to others. I am now on a limited income or I would be interested in purchasing yours for a step granddaughter(?). She isn't even really that. She's the 1/2 sister of one of my grandsons and my son was never married to his mom. Kids don't understand that, so I always buy her a little something. I certainly haven't made her a quilt yet. I haven't read enough of your blog to know what your ailments are. Six weeks after I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have been in remission for 9 years from the cancer and still take anti-estrogen oral therapy since I am high risk of recurrence. Most people only take it for a maximum of 5 years. It does make my hair thinner. However, I am blessed that I still have more hair than lots of people. Not even my closest friends notice it. I do because I see the evidence in the hairbrush and when I shower - it's in the bottom of the shower. My arms are very weak from the fibromyalgia and I am exhausted most of the time. The doctors can find nothing to help me get to sleep, get a good night's sleep, and wake up rested and not hung over the next day. So, sleep is a huge issue. I pray that you may continue to enjoy quilting. May God richly bless your quilting endeavor and I hope this may turn into a business for you, if that is your desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, most of my clothes are black and white or navy. I don't really have a favourite colour. I also noticed that I have accumulated a lot of blues recently, so I might have to make an all blue quilt soon!

      Congratulations on the 9 years of remission. I understand the life of illness and limited budgets (I'm on a disability pension) and the associated stresses. My arms, neck and shoulders ache and tire easily due to the fibromyalgia so you have sympathy from me! I have been using endep (or amitryptaline) to help me sleep through the pain. Maybe ask your doctor about that or their suggestions for pain relief that will help you sleep. Sometimes doctors give people sleeping pills, when they should be giving them something to relieve or solve the problem that is keeping them awake.

      I would love to make my sewing and quilting into a money-maker, but the reality of my illness might not allow it - as I can only sew when I'm physically able.

      one day....
      :)

      Delete