Saturday, 6 July 2013

Pink Ombré Quilt

Positively Tickled Pink


    This week has allowed me to sit around feeling sorry for myself. I have been waiting for the result of the biopsy that was performed under ultrasound on the massive lump on my ankle. There hasn't been any news.

    I have had many restless nights. Two nights with four hours sleep and one where I didn't fall asleep until 6am (luckily I was able to sleep in, undisturbed, until 12pm). I"m not sure if the sleeplessness is related to waiting for the results or anything else in particular. Of one thing I am sure, my body has decided to cramp up more often at night, especially the muscle/tendons that the lump is enveloping (joy :-| ..... *cough*).

 
    On another note! A few weeks ago, I was sorting my stash and realised that I had a LOT of pinks. Also, that the majority of them hadn't been used. Now this, I couldn't stand by and allow to happen!

    I chopped off a 2.5inch strip from every pink I owned (at the time....there have been a few purchased since!), including low colour value, and made a stack to be played with later.


   I was wallowing in self pity for a bit and saw the stack of pinks and realised.....I have pretties that need playing with. I got off the lounge and out of my head and not a dark thought re-entered my mind that afternoon.

   I never had a pattern or plan in mind for the fabric. I just wanted to use the fabric. I hate the idea that I have spent what little money I have on such beautiful things, and that they are never seen or used. I would prefer to make a 100 quilts and have no fabric left, than to have 100 carefully folded pieces of fabric tucked away, never to be appreciated.




    Generally when I plan out a quilt, I go into the lounge room and lay the fabric out on the floor to arrange and re-arrange. I don't have the luxury of a sewing room nor design wall. Every time I use my machine, I have to unpack it, set it up on the kitchen table, and then pack it away for every meal, and then unpack again etc. Understandably, this is difficult for one with chronic pain, muscle atrophy and my myriad of issues. It also means, if I'm sewing, it has to be worth the energy drain, I will be exhausted by the end, and that I will get as much done in as little time as possible.

   My mother saw me struggling to move on the floor, heard the small grunts of pain from the other room and said she had had enough. She went and grabbed these tables from the garage, cleared out the coffee table and set them up. OMG. These tables have saved my knees, hands, wrists, ankles and fingers so so so much pain. Sure, they're a little low, but that is nothing to complain about in comparison to the pain of my previous 'floor-work"


    I sorted the stack into a tone gradient. It went from light/little pink on white to dark/little white on pink.

    Within this gradient, colour variations were apparent. Purple-pinks, red-pinks and brown-pinks. With these variations, I was able to notice that all colours had tone gradients. Again, I sorted the stack into colours and then their gradients. As a result, I realised a standard pattern, such as ohio star, would not allow for the colours to interact without making it messy and also wouldn't present each fabric to it's full potential.

    I began to arrange the stacks into a gradient of light to dark. This resulted in brown-pinks and purple-pinks of similar tone being put net to each other. It was uuuuuuugly.

    I knew that the colours and their tones were important, I positioned the darkest together, however, as they radiated outward, they radiated towards their respective colours. Up to the white-pink, left-down to the purple-pink and down to the brown-pinks.

     The long strips were perfect to show off a "large-ish" piece of fabric, but also providing a method to move along gradients because of their thin width.



    This quilt quickly had me immersed in sorting and swapping strips. My worries from the morning were forgotten as I was surrounded by inspiring colour, prints and patterns. 

    I will be quilting it when I am able. I may have gotten a little caught up in the process, and not listened to my body as it was tiring. I can't wait to see the finished product.

    So far, it is 57"x59". I honestly didn't plan its size. I just kept putting strips down until I ran out of them.

    I am thinking I might sell this. If anyone knows a good price guide or someone that might buy it, please let me know. I've never sold any of my quilts before, however, I have no need for this and it was a "just coz it's pretty" project. It would be nice to think someone would love it and look after it, instead of it just sitting in one of my cupboards. Also, it might be nice to make some money out of something I enjoy. I can't have a conventional job, so maybe this might lead into something....probably just dreaming (especially because quilts are expensive and I don't think many people would want to spend that kind of money on my shit!). Just contact me via instagram or the comments below if you have ideas etc.

 


Until next time, keep well. Stay colourful!
Caroline

Click on me to see the finished quilt

5 comments:

  1. I think your quilting and sewing work that I have seen so far is totally worthy of being sold and looked after. As for pricing, I wouldn't have a clue, but once you work it out, let me know because I love pink and if it's in my budget, I'll totally buy it off you :) (Although it may have to sit pretty in a cupboard until I am next up). -Kylie Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Thank you Kylie. You're always so lovely. If I do find a relevant and reasonable price idea for it I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow its so pretty, I have quite a few of those prints in my stash. I would love to know what price you decide on coz I might be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email is caraegreco at gmail if you wanted to find out more info. I'm still not completely sure how to value it. Plus, I think it would be nicer to discuss in private in case I say a ridiculous (whether it be high or low) number and you can laugh at me : - P

      Delete